Monday, September 26, 2011

Buried Talents

Colette has been walking since she was eight months old.  She has always had great comprehension and fine motor skills.  When she puts her mind to it, she can follow direction to minute details.  However, when asked to return a toy to her bedroom, she has this mysterious affliction that suddenly turns her legs to rubber.  And then her arms become affected too and they flop around as if her nerves are spasming and she has no control over her body.  The wailing is even more convincing.  "I can't do it!" she cries, defeat and disappointment displayed on her face.  My heart aches as only a concerned parent's would.

Oh wait... she's faking.  She doesn't want the responsibility of cleaning up her toys so she pretends to lack the abilities required to carry out the task.  I am certain most parents can relate.  This seems to be a handy little form of trickery every child is taught in that secret class they all take- "Toddler 101- How to Terrorize your Parents."  I am beginning to be convinced we do not grow out of the habit either.

Though I have received compliments on my writing, I have always graciously declined any reference to it being a gift from God.  It seemed shameful and conceited that I would claim my writing was good, much less call it worthy of God.  Recently my views have changed.  This is not opportunity to boast, as I still find much of what I write undeveloped, trite, and contrived, but I have suddenly viewed myself as a child floundering on the floor claiming lack of ability to shirk spiritual responsibility.  My efforts to be humble were actually clothing for laziness, perhaps defiance.  

God has provided me with an ability to write because He intends me to use it for His glory.  To pretend that I do not have this gift, has caused me to squander it away for other purposes, or to not use it at all.  So I have finally committed to writing a book.  For those of you that have known me for a long time, please withhold the groans.  I have been an "aspiring" author my whole life.  Thirty years with nothing produced, outside of this blog.  My motivations were shamefully wrong, and thus failed me.  I daydreamed about my book displayed on the shelves of Barnes and Noble.  Worse, I imagined speaking at the annual Dogwood Festival of my hometown, Dowagiac, MI, which has seen literary greats such as John Updike, Alice Walker, and Tim O'Brien.  I was fame and fortune seeking.  I was also uncommitted and uninspired.

This time it is different.  It is not my desire any more.  God has placed it on my heart that I am to do this in service to Him, without regard for the results other than it is in His plan.  It may never find its way to a publisher, but I know that I am writing it for the purpose of at least one person, if not simply as an act of obedience on my part.  It is no longer my talent, my glory, my will, but His.

I am reminded of the story of the Parable of the Talents, so fittingly named.  In Matthew 25 Jesus tells a story about a rich man who leaves three of his servants in charge of a large sum of money, called a talent (equivalent to over a thousand dollars).  Two of the servants doubled the money by "putting it to work" , but the final servant dug a hole in the ground and hid it so that nothing was gained when he returned it to his master.  I have buried what God has called me to multiply.

I ask that you keep my act of service in your prayers, as I often feel discouraged and am easily distracted with my day to day responsibilities, but I feel very certain that God would not require of me something He has not equipped me to do.  Time I dug up my talent and put it to work for the glory of His Name!

13 comments:

Janie G said...

Katie,
I love reading your blog and I cannot wait to read your story! I am sending so many positive thoughts and prayers your way during your writing journey!
Lots of Love,
Jane

Blogging to Bless said...

Aw, Jane! Thanks so much! I appreciate your encouragement. Hope married life has been treating you well :) Love you!

Sandee said...

Katie -

This message is so very powerful and spiritually timely. So many of us need this reminder to kick ourselves into putting our "gifts/talents" to work as God calls us to instead making excuses. All things are possible through God. What a great reminder. Once again - thank you so much for your words - God is truly working through you.

Blogging to Bless said...

Thanks for the comment, Sandee, and as always, thank you for all of your behind the scenes help that make the blog possible. All gifts are given for the glory of God!

Dale said...

Are you doing what we have been hearing, "Reaching Beyond our Walls", with the walls being what we have placed around us?

Like the Impala you can jump beyond your walls and faith in the Triune God will land you safely in His care.

God bless your journey.

Donna said...

Katie, that is wonderful news! You are going to do a wonderful job with a book, I just know it!

BTW, did you ever consider writing for Guideposts magazine and the Daily Guidepost Book? I read and love both those publications and think you would be great at writing for them.

Blogging to Bless said...

I'm trying, Dale! But it sure is hard to take that first leap!

Blogging to Bless said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Donna! I have actually been considering sending some submissions to Guideposts. My Grandma blessed me with a subscription to the magazine for Christmas last year and I usually read the whole thing in one day. Did you get the most recent one with the story of the police officer forgiving the man who shot him? Astounding!

Anonymous said...

Katie, you truly are blessed gift to all that read your blog. I certainly will keep you in prayer as you become comfortable with your calling. I wish you well.

Blogging to Bless said...

Thanks for the comment, Anon! The prayers are most needed!

Blogging to Bless said...

Thanks for the comment, Anon! The prayers are most needed!

Erin Brambilla said...

This is great, Katie!

First, I can so relate to the Toddler 101 antics. :)

Second, I can also relate to your desire to put your talents to use.

I wish you much success on your endeavor and many prayers on your journey.

Blogging to Bless said...

I bet you can relate, Erin! Thanks for the smile and great post on your blog today. And of course, for the encouragement.