Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Greater Things Are Yet to Come

They had two beautiful daughters.  The father peeked into the stroller I pushed onto the elevator and told me he thought Julia was very cute.  His wife asked how old she was and commented on how very alert she is.  With motherly pride, I told them about all three of my girls.

After stepping off the elevator, I started bundling Julia for the cold walk to the car.  It was raining heavily.  I saw the wife tug at her husbands arm and he turned to me and said, "Please, could I watch your baby for you while you pull up your car?  I would be happy to."  I politely declined and his wife said, "Are you certain?  It really isn't a problem."  I assured them that I had Julia warmly covered with blankets and protected from the rain, but thanked them for their kindness.

As I walked to the car, I felt very touched by how friendly they were and concerned for my well-being.  Suddenly I felt compelled to go back and thank them and then tell them how much God loves them.  Julia was loaded in the car and I pulled out one of my "How Good is Good Enough" books that I have been carrying in my purse with the intent to give it to them.  I prayed that God would allow me this opportunity and drove down the parking lot lane opposite from the exit.  I saw the father get in his car that he had pulled up to the front door for his wife and two daughters and quickly pull away.  Just like that, they were gone.

I have often felt sorrow for a stranger, whether it be trial or tragedy that brings on the emotion.  But I don't believe I have ever felt true sorrow when considering a stranger's salvation, until Friday.  I prayed to God that they knew the love of Christ and that if they did not, He would put a strong witness in their life.  And I cried because I would not be a part of it, or know what becomes of them.  They had two beautiful daughters.  They were very gentle people.  And I won't ever know if they will know the joy of their Lord and Savior.

I know why God let them get away.  I believe He had to let me experience that sorrow so that I could know why He calls us to witness.  Admittedly I felt sorrow because they were nice.  I wanted them to be saved.  They showed me love.  But the sorrow I felt for them should extend even to those that do not show me love; even those that show me the opposite.  The sorrow that I felt was a small glimpse of what God feels, but better than the sorrow, He wants me to experience the joy of watching another come to Christ.  I am very blessed to have had the opportunity to witness to my husband and see Him saved.  When I look at Jonathan and reflect on the work that Christ has done in his life, my heart fills with joy.  And to have been a part of it is a gift from God.  God wants me to be part of more opportunities like this.

Colette's Bible verse for the week is "Store your treasures in Heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy." (Matthew 6:20)  The only treasures I can take with me to Heaven are the souls of my loved ones.  This is what my focus should be in life.

God also spoke to me through this incident in another way.  As my last entry indicated, I was feeling the need to branch out in my faith in God and commit to Him in a bigger and bolder way.  I thank all of you that kept that in your prayers, and I believe the answer I received is found in Matthew 25:21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant!  You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.  Come and share your master's happiness.'"  I have realized that I have not been trusted with greater deeds because I have not been faithful in the small things.  In light of this revelation I have made a commitment to read the Bible and spend time in prayer everyday.  Shamefully, these things I have not been doing.  I want to join in my master's happiness.  I would love to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"  I know that as I am faithful in the small things, greater things will be yet to come.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Katrina, i enjoy your messages. They are very touching and you have a unique way of writing.. you truly have a gift. I embrace the title, " Greater things are yet to come..." as I keep telling myself that. 3 months ago, my husband walked out the door, telling me a, sfter 16 years of marriage, he doesn't want to married to me anymore, seems like all he is focused on are the materials things, debt and himself, yet tells me I only think of myself. I do have to let this situation be in the hands of GOD as now more than ever do I realize that HE is in control. blessings to you and your beautiful family.. and prescious Julia on her baptism today.

Blogging to Bless said...

Mary, thank you for sharing. I am so sorry to hear of the difficulties you are facing. Know that you do not face them alone, but God is right beside you and in control. I want to share with you a verse that I read this week in our Bible Study of John from chapter 12, verse 27. Jesus said, "Now my heart is troubled and what shall I say? 'Father save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father glorify your name!" This was spoken as Jesus approached the time of His death, but I think it is valuable to consider that even in times of our hearts being troubled, God can and will glorify His name and when we trust in that, we will find glory and peace as well. I think I might blog about this but I wanted to offer this for your contemplation first in your time of need. Not sure when I will have opportunity to write a whole blog.
Mary, you are in my prayers!

Blogging to Bless said...

Mary, I made a blog with you in mind. Hope you get a chance to read it.