Thursday, November 11, 2010

Being Made New

It used to take me an hour to get ready for school every morning.  I used to curl my hair and meticulously apply makeup.  On my drive to school I would elevate my mood by blaring Led Zeppelin.  My highs and lows of the day were measured by whether or not a crush spoke to me.  To close out a stressful day, I would go shopping with my best friend, spending most of my paycheck on something I hoped would make me feel more attractive, wanted, needed by whomever would take notice.  These were the things that defined me.  It was what I loved.

I am lucky if I get to take a shower two days in a row now.  My morning routine consists of finding something that is clean and fits, brushing my hair if I remember and brushing my teeth.  I can't wear makeup anymore due to sensitive skin, but even so, I don't think I would take the time to apply it.  Though I can still appreciate the musical talents of Led Zeppelin, I don't gather the same enjoyment from their music.  Going on a shopping trip now means heading to the grocery store, which I actually love doing, but my fulfillment comes from whittling my receipt down to pennies versus the high I would get from spending $60 on a pair of jeans.  My day consists of making my husband and children feel attractive, wanted, needed, loved.

On my thirtieth birthday my husband asked me if there was anything that I wanted just for me, not for the purposes of serving someone else.  He knows that I tend toward gifts of need for the household.  I never answered him.  I could not come up with something that I really wanted that did not involve providing for someone else.  It scared me.  It sounds silly to me now, but I sat there wondering if I had lost myself somewhere in the midst of motherhood.  What defines me now are the people around me.  And there was a little bit of resentment there.  I think all mothers go through this struggle at some point.  It's what empty nest syndrome is all about.  Our identity becomes imbedded in our children and our old desires to serve ourself transition to serving our children, so much so that it is hard to find enjoyments that we can call our very own.

I am not trying to say that I don't have indulgences just for myself anymore.  I can neither confirm nor deny a stash of dark chocolate that no one else knows about.  The truth is I have more of a difficulty serving myself now than serving others.  As a thought would come to mind of something I could splurge on just for me, it would be defeated by a more sensible option.  I struggled with whether this was a bad thing or a good thing.  Certainly the resentment I was feeling about it was bad, but overall I knew I did not want a token of that past lifestyle where I lived for myself.  My joy is in serving my family, in hearing my husband delight in a dinner I made, in watching Colette grow in discipline, in seeing Mary explore new things, in the child that grows inside of me, in taking my time, talents and treasures and blessing others.  These are the things that define me.  It is what I love.

Shortly after one of my friends became a Christian, she cried to me and said, "I don't know who I am anymore."  At the time I was so puzzled by the statement.  She had always been very chameleon in nature, taking on the likes and interests of whomever she was dating at the time, but as a Christian she had started making decisions apart from pleasing others.  I was seeing so much growth in her character that I could not understand what she thought she was missing.  To me, she was unveiling the person that was always hiding inside.  Now I understand that for so long her sins had identified who she was, that as she stepped away from them, she felt like she was leaving her self behind too.  I could not understand why she was mourning this because I saw it as the necessary growth of a Christian.  We are called to become a new creation in Christ.

There is trepidation in taking on this new life in Christ for a lot of Christians.  Too often we allowed our sin to define us- I was a self-centered, image-oriented, impatient teenager that delighted in worldly things, whether I would have admitted it at the time or not.  It is how we know ourself to be and who others have come to know.  It is why so many of us struggle with leaving them behind.  It took me a long time to admit that I did not receive the same satisfaction from listening to Led Zeppelin that I once did.  It was hard for me to say that praise music had taken that love's place.  I am sure it is laughable for some of you to read this, but I felt very elite in my taste of music and even held those who lacked the same appreciation in disdain.  Now I enjoy music that embraces it's original intent to bring glory to God.  I am moved by songs that sing His praises.  While Led Zeppelin remains arguably one of the most talented bands of all time, they certainly did not seek to bring glory to God.  And I certainly wasn't seeking to bring glory to Him during the time that they spoke to me most.

God wants to make you a new creation.  He wants to place desires in your heart that will lead you down paths you never imagined going.  He wants to replace those beaten paths of sin with trails that lead to treasures in Him.  He wants to expose those temporary joys for their superficial nature and guide you to the eternal peace and joy that you will only find in His gift of Jesus Christ.

Let Him.

In Romans 12, verse 2 Paul pleads, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will."  It is easy to conform to the patterns of this world in cranking up a song that praises promiscuity and vanity, delighting in a tv show that is profane in nature, buying into consumerism, fulfilling gluttoness desires.  As we renew our minds by allowing the desires of God to replace those of our sinful nature, His will, which is good and pleasing and perfect, becomes evident to us.  This is the new creature He makes of us.  What we find joy in, take peace in, seek comfort in defines us.  How much is your sin defining you?
      

7 comments:

WrittenByBecca said...

Katie, your posts always have such a wonderful way of reminding me that I am not my own, but a child of a powerful and glorious God. Thank you for sharing so candidly about your experiences!

Have you heard this song? It's purpose is definitely to bring glory to God and has so much to do with this post! Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XY2yudW5n4

Dale said...

Last night, while watching, more like listening, to the Country Music Awards, I told Mary that I used to like country music. I wondered what happened? Did the music change or did I? I used to listen to Christian rock and country. What is different now?

I'm glad you explained it so quick. I still like some of the 60's music but that is more like an escape than a steady diet.

The Chrisitan lifestyle has become the main course.

Thanks for your blog and insights.

Blogging to Bless said...

I just listened to the song for the first time and loved it! Thanks for sharing. The point I was trying to make with my choice of music now versus then is that as I give over even those seemingly small parts of my life God works His voice into it so that I am walking with Him more regularly than ever before. Thank God for the number of very talented Christian artists out there that give me this avenue of release and praise and reenergize me through my day, reminding me of my purpose.

Anonymous said...

Thank You Katie, Your blog are helping me see so much of what I am missing,

Lynn O'Shaughnessy said...

Katie,
You are such a good writer. I can associate with much of what you said and I thank you for this wonderful message today.

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs!! You have such a way with words, that I appreciate. The question that I have...is it so bad to at 30 something still appreciate looking good and wanting to feel attractive? I also love making my husband and children feel good and doing things for them, but what about me? If I raise my children right and they grow up and be successful, God loving people and I have let myself go by the wayside, would I feel resentment? I'm not sure?? I guess I just wanted to throw that out there... Thank you again for hosting this blog!! I love it :-)

Blogging to Bless said...

I absolutely believe that we should not let ourselves go, especially if we are married. I think our husbands deserve to take delight in their wives and that requires some maintenance. But I also know that my husband loves the nature in me that causes me to miss a shower or two for the sake of being available to him and my children. He knows that I make a lot of self-sacrifices out of love. And as a good husband, he steps in to relieve me when I have gone a little overboard ;-). Life as a mother is all about balance. We have to learn to balance our attentions toward our children, our husband, and ourselves. It is certainly overwhelming and requires constant evaluation. Of number one importance is our spiritual growth. We should never sacrifice our time with God. If we are growing spiritually, we are going to be aligning the rest of the demands of this life in the correct way.
Our world today has a tendency to lead us to think there are certain things we are entitled to- regular haircuts, fancy body products, in-style clothing and we can get trapped into making sacrifices to obtain those things at the expense of our children and our husband. I am not saying that any of these indulgences are bad, but we need to make sure we are having a healthy balance of self-sacrifice and service because that is what we are called to do.